Oregon Historic District Society
The first meeting of the Organization for the Burns-Jackson Area was held September 12, 1973. Twelve of those present were then residents of the area – the remainder, prospective residents or interested parties. By the conclusion of the second meeting two weeks later, the group had voted to call themselves the Oregon Historic District Society, adopted a constitution, elected trustees and voted to file Articles of Incorporation. Their constitution read in part: “To create a sense of community; to help make neighborhood life secure and comfortable; to establish an atmosphere in which to live, work and recreate ourselves.” more Each year the Oregon Historic District Society sponsors a tour of homes and business buildings in the area in an effort to acquaint others with what we have accomplished. The public response to these events has been gratifying and, at times, almost overwhelming. The pride we take in our efforts is nurtured by the warm interest our visitors have shown. The activities of the Society are varied, but the purposes expressed in our constitution remain our prime objectives. As “new” pioneers, we are hard at work recreating a neighborhood and sharing it with our visitors.
Board of Trustees
President Katie Joseph 2017
Vice President Angie Tillman (Public Spaces Chair) 2019
Treasurer Brian Eastman 2018
Secretary Jeff Gonya 2018
Mike Burlingame (Engagement Chair) 2018
Bethany Ramsey (Communication Chair) 2019
Marion Kendig 2018
Rachel Brannon 2017
Mike Martin (in lieu of Omar Peters) 2017
The logo of the Oregon Historic District Society is a modern adaptation of the lion head emblem of the McHose and Lyon Dayton Architectural Iron Works, a local firm, in business for approximately 30 years beginning in 1868. This firm supplied much architectural ironwork for construction, not only in Dayton, but throughout the Midwest. Their fences and iron lace verandahs are still much in evidence in the Oregon District and elsewhere.
Their work was usually identified by a cast iron lion’s face in relief, bearing the inscription “McHose & Lyon, Manufacturers, Dayton, Ohio” under the lion’s face. This emblem was used mainly on fence gates and, at times, the name of the homeowner for whom the gate was made appeared in a semi-arch panel over the top of the lion’s face. Mr. William McHose, a 72 year resident of the area, lived for 45 years in a fine Victorian home located at 53 Green Street, which he built in 1873 as a wedding gift for his bride.
Mr. McHose adopted the lion head emblem as a mark of his work shortly after he opened a small shop on the canal below Third Street. It originally bore his name, changing when Calvin Lyon became his partner in 1877. The Oregon Historic District Society felt this symbol was a unique Dayton Historical item and that it bore a most direct relation to this area. They decided to use as their logo the lion head in its original design, replacing the firm name with that of the Society. They retained the same style of letters used on the original with the exception of the name “Oregon”. The letter styling of this word was taken from metal letters on an original leather fire horse harness of the old Oregon Volunteer Fire Company. This horse belt was borrowed from the private collection of James Davis for copying purposes. On the logo, “Oregon” was placed in the semi-arch panel position where the homeowner’s name would have appeared on the original casting.